The Only Sugar Cookie Recipe You’ll Ever Need
I love to bake, especially around the holidays. The combination of cold weather and delicious sugary treats with coffee or hot chocolate is unmatched.
Plus, visiting family & friends means lots of people to share in the delicious treats. I feel a bit better about baking lots of treats when I know I won’t be the only one consuming them. 😉
I love to test recipes, modify them, test again and so on. I’m forever on the hunt for new recipes to try and modify to fit my family’s tastes.
This sugar cookie recipe what originally a Betty Crocker recipe. You can find the original here.
I took this already delicious recipe, made some very minor changes, and the recipe is perfect! Chewy with a slight crisp on the outside. Yum!
So, if you’re on the hunt for that perfect sugar cookie recipe- look no further!
For your convenience, this post may contain affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure statement here.
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar + extra for rolling dough
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon butter extract
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Frosting and sprinkles
- In medium bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Mix powdered sugar, softened butter, vanilla and butter extract in large bowl. Add the egg, mix until fully incorporated.
- Slowly add the flour mixture, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease cookie sheet (these are my absolute favorite cookie sheets. They heat evenly and clean up nicely!) or prepare cookie sheet with silpat mat - if you've never tried a silpat mat, you must! They save money (no need to spray, grease or use parchment), they work really well and clean up is a breeze. I love my silpat mats, but have also had great success with this kind as well! .
- Divide dough in half. Roll each half 1/4 inch thick on a surface lightly covered with powdered sugar. Cut dough into desired shapes. Place on cookie sheet.
- Bake 7-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let cool on cookie sheet 2-4 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.
- Decorate as desired with frosting & sprinkles.
- *If you choose not to roll dough, you can also use 1 tablespoon of dough evenly spaced on baking sheet. Using the bottom of a glass, flatten each ball of dough. Bake as described above.
That’s it! How simple was that?!
Don’t let the simplicity of this recipe fool you…
If you’re searching for the perfect sugar cookie recipe, I encourage you to try this one! You won’t regret it- it’s so delicious!
Even the littlest ones love this recipe! 🙂
What’s your go-to favorite holiday recipe?
Pin this for later and let me know how much you love it once you try it!